| Today was our 3rd day in China. We had a very busy day!! We went to the Jade factory, the Great Wall, and then the Summer Palace.
First, before I begin on the amazing things we saw and did today....I just have to write about this....the pollution.
The pollution is so bad here that after a day outside in the 90 degree weather with no sunscreen because I forgot it in the hotel) I am still not sun burnt due to there always being a haze outside. Every morning we wake up and open our curtains look out into the city of Beijing from our view on the 17th floor of our hotel room and it is always grey. We always comment, "oh, it looks like rain" because at home when we see this kind of sky it means rain. But, here this seems to be to norm.
When I come in after a day of touring....I always wash my face, arms, legs, and hands....when I am finished washing up the towel is disgusting with this black dirty soot-type stuff. That is the pollution I am talking about. It is really gross and I am very happy that I don't have to put up with this at home.
Now...on to the good stuff....our first stop was the jade factory. We went in and I wanted to get a jade bangle bracelet. I have always admired Tonya Cooper's that she got when she got Chloe. So I am looking at the bangles and finally find my size....and then look at the price...and I say to Mike..."Is that in yuan or dollars?"....ummmm....it was in dollars. The jade bangle bracelet I wanted was $1,000 US dollars!! Ummm....I told the lady how sorry I was but there is not way I am going to spend $1,000 on a bracelet. I did however puchase two jade pendents for the girls when they are older. I got each a figuring of their zodac sign (Bella is a pig and Delaney is an Ox) and I did find a jade ring for $100 and I figured I deserved to spend something on myself and have decided this would be sometime neat to have from my daughter's birth country.
We next went to the Great Wall!!!! OMG!!! I can't even begin to explain how I felt. All I kept thinking was if you would have asked me in 6th grade if lil' Maryann Hoffarth would have ever been able to climb the stairs of the Great Wall in China I would have been like, "Yeah, right!!" But, today I think I actually lived one of many dreams of actually being able to just marvel and climb the Great Wall. One thing since we have been learning about Chinese traditions is the new trandition of putting a lock on the Great Wall.
We actually saw this on one of the many travel shows we always watch whenever China is discussed....so we brought our own lock---engraved to say on the front, "Farnham 2011" on the back we put "MMBD 2011) We put our lock on this chain and we put it near a tree so hopefully if we ever come back to the great wall we will be able to find it!!
We next had a traditional Chinese dinner with our travel group. Our travel group consisted of Laura and her mom Katheryn who is picking up their daughter who is also 18 months, Jennifer and Jerry who is picking up their almost 2 year old, and us who is picking of lil' Li Li who is also almost 18 months. We have only known each other since we got our TA thru emails....but it is really amazing how this kind of trip really connects you with the other families.....I feel as though we now have 2 new family friends who will always be part of our family!!! We are all open to doing some reunions for the girls. It will be easier for us than with Bella's group because we all live in Indiana!!!
And finally, we went to the Summer Palace. This is the "retreat" the Emporer built after buidling the Forbbiden City to "just get away"!!! This place is amazing. It has a "lake" that was hand dug. I told Mike....when I become emporer I expect a lake to be hand dug too!!! He said it is a good thing I am not going to be emporer!!!
We have had a great time in Beijing. And on the way home from the Summer Palace we got some pretty amazing news....apparently when we go to get Delaney on Monday directly after getting off the bullet train....we go straight to the orphanage. OMG!!!!!! So by noon on Monday for us and midnight on Monday for you all ....we will have our daughter. Oh, yes....after hearing this I started to panic but in a very good way!!!
We were told we can leave some of our bags here at the hotel we are staying at so we are only taking what we need to get Delaney. We are only spending a few days in Delaney's provience of Tianjin (pronounced Tee--N--jen) It still consist of one big bag, 1 carry on bag, and 2 backpacks.....but the carry on is filled to the rim with gifts for the orphanage....I have the hats that the girl made, school supplies, and of course, gifts for the nannies and officials.
Sunday is a free day...we are just resting now...getting ready to go out and explore more of Beijing. The next time I post....we should have Delaney. YIPEE!!!!! http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/mare26fa1/Day%203_July%2016/ |
3 comments:
What an adventure you are having..Laney will hear these stories and will love that you got to know her country and providence.I can't wait to see my newest granddaughter and give her lots of loving..I am so proud of you and can't wait to talk to you tonite.Kristie and I are staying up in hopes of a skype of Laney..love you, hurry home nanie
Hope that everything goes well with Delaney tomorrow. Good luck sounds like you are having a pretty good trip so far. Love Aunt Annie
So anxious to hear about Gotcha Day and see pictures of you and Delaney!!! I'm so enjoying the pics that you have taken.
Post a Comment