Sunday, July 24, 2011

The dreaded medical and the breeze in the room

Sorry...photobuck is acting up so I can't post pics today from our Medical and passport appointment yesterday.
 
Delaney got her passport photo on the first try!!  She is such a good picture taker.
 
On to the medical.  It actually went very well.  Delaney was a champ and really didn't fuss to much during the exam.  The interesting part was that the doctor who did the final exam of Delaney's special need couldn't quite figure out how to describe Delaney's disability.  She had to call another doctor into the room and then also take a page of our Chinese Referral for Delaney to put in their "file".  I think the issue is....her hands are fine.  She has a finger deformity, but our referral information classified it as a hand deformity.  Trust me....this kid has not problem using her hands!!!  We were playing tag-a-war the other day with her mickey rattle and she has power, strength, and mobility in those little fingers....  Also, the referral did not list anywhere the lil' red birthmark over her eye.  Both the doctor and our guide has told us several times to get it checked out when we get home.  I told them I would....but it looks like a birth mark to us??
 
After the medical, we came back to the hotel and Delaney took a nap.  Mommy did a lil' shopping on the Island and came home with a load of stuff.  Have I mentioned how much I love shopping on Shaman Island!!??!!  I got Delaney's chop and her scroll is on order.  Got Delaney, Bella, and Claudia's (my friend Chris' future daughter from the Congo) Name pictures.  Got some cute lil' panda prints and a doll in traditional wear from Tianjin.  We also got Delaney a new pair of squeaky shoes.  All the pairs I brought that were Bella's were too big.
 
We ended the day with a trip to Lucy's!!!  For all future adoptive families......LUCY's is worth the cab ride even if you can't stay at the white swan.  I got a hamburger with Cheese and Fries....and it tasted just like home.  The McDonald's hamburger we had in Beijing didn't even taste as good.
 
We did some touring today...went to Huacheng Square...apparently this used to be the pearl river but they build it up to make a business center in the "downtown" Guangzhou.  They had a cultural center, tv towers, Asian Olympic center, and of course a Library.  I wanted to go get me a library card but couldn't talk anyone else into it so I only got pictures of the outside of the building.
 
We also went to the Chen Family House which is sort of a museum and arts and crafts center rolled into one.  You could purchase arts and crafts.  They seemed to be reasonably priced.
 
We also went to the Six Banyan Temple--this is a Buddhist temple in downtown Guangzhou.  Our guide before he took us asked us our feeling on it.   All 3 families went to the temple but only two of us (us included) had their children blessed by the Buddhist monk.  Okay....so here is the thing...it is hot here.  Super hot with no breeze today.  Everyone that knows me knows I'm not super religious....I mean I believe in God....but I think religion is a personal thing and I am very happy with my relationship with God.  So we got to the temple the monk started the ceremony by chanting and Delaney and I were kneeling  and the monk comes over and blesses us by sprinkling water on both Delaney's head and my head( our blessing)....and just as he finishes I felt this cool breeze go through the temple.  It was amazing!!!  It was like I was feeling a higher power send me a message that everything is going to be fine with Delaney and with our future life.  When I finished I asked Mike and Kathryn, Eva's grandma who was also taking pictures and asked if they felt it and they said no...but me and Laurie (Eva's mom) did.  I don't  know if it was Buddha or God or what......but I definite know something spiritual took place during that ceremony!  I was so moved that I even shed a few tears.  It was that emotional.
 
After the temple....we came back to the hotel to give the babies a nap.  We are planning on meeting for dinner with our group and then doing a little shopping afterwords.
 
Tomorrow is our American Consulate appointment.  We will take the "Oath of Citizenship" for Delaney.  This is the first step for her to become an full-fledged American.  We will also take our "Red Couch" photo for families adopting children from China.
 
Delaney is doing great.  She is a quite soul, shy, and a bit timid....but when she laughs her laugh is contagious and makes everyone smile.  She is definitely the kind of person who isn't going to jump into things without making sure all her Ia's are dotted and T's are crossed.  She is very observant....but has made friends with the other babies here.  She is a beautiful child and I am so proud that she is now part of our family and I get to be her momma!!!
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mare, I would have to say that It was God's way of giving you his blessing for you and your daughter. Kristie and I have both experienced something like it and it changes your life. miss you so much and can't wait for you to be home..not long now. Can't wait to see our Delaney.

Chris said...

Sounds to me like you had a wonderful spiritual experience.....and it sounds to me like God was with you at that place. We're counting the days to meet you at the airport!

Jennifer said...

Yes, indeed, God is with you. Counting down hours instead of days now. Cannot wait to see you at the airport in 60.5 hours!! :)

 
design by suckmylolly.com