Tuesday, January 9, 2007

CNN Debockal

Last Friday night, January 5, Paula Zahn of CNN ran a show on the new rules that China is putting into effect to adopt from their country, but instead of a show about the rules it became a stereotyping-name calling type of show. The show pretty much said that the only reason that families want to adopt from China is so that we can have "pretty porcelain dolls that will become doctors". It claimed that American's have a love affair with these girls and that we are bad people because we are not adopting children of other races here in the U.S. Here is the transcript if you want to read it....

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0701/05/pzn.01.html

Well, last night, January 8, so many families from the adoption community wrote to the Paula Zahn show, CNN execs, and the sponsors upset with the first show that there was another show to further discuss this issue.

I didn't get to see the first show, but read the transcripts. I did see the show on Monday though and here are my thoughts....

First, I thought it was really funny how unorganized the whole show was. You could tell it was really thrown together. And if you really looked at Paula Zahn during this show she looked sooooo uncomfortable. I think at one point I actually saw her sweating.

Second, they still didn't really address the issues they were suppost to talking about which was the issues about China changing its criteria and how it will affect future adoptive parents.

Third, a member of the NY FCC(Families of Children from China) was given time to speak on the issues that were brought out during Friday's show and he did a great job. I loved when he kept saying that adopting from China is a families decision and the predictablilty of the China program is one of the draws to this program. (The footage of his daughters playing in the kitchen....too cute!!!)

Finally, I just think CNN has a lot to learn about why people adopt? I think this would have been a more productive show than what they focused on both nights. We decided to adopt internationally because of the predictability of China's program, the girls over there really need a good home, and sadly, we only had a certain about of money we could spend on adoption expenses and couldn't take the risk of having a failed domestic adoption placement.

To those CNN panelist I leave you with these thoughts.....Why we wanted to adopt from China?We have a home and wanted a child. It was a good fit for us. Do I think that my daughter is going to be "pretty"? No, I think my daughter will be beautiful because she will be my child. No matter what her physical appearance will be she will always be the most beautiful in my eyes. Do I think she will be smart? I think she will be brillant because she is my child. And as any mother will tell you.....their child is the smartest kid on the planet.

Why am I adopting???.....it has nothing to do with race or a "love affair"....it has everything to do with me wanting a child that will become a member of my family. When the US can guarentee me that I will be able to adopt a child without the biological parents/grandparents wanting to reclaim the child after placement. I will be glad to adopt domesticly. Plain and simple!!

UPDATE: Here is the transcript to Monday, January 8ths show:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0701/08/pzn.01.html

No comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com