I really believe that this could be a big reason that the slow down is occurring. I found this article this morning on msn.com. It is really interesting.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19197078/
This article is really just talking about how Beijing is now trying to teach their citizens to mind their manners and not do things that us in the western world believe to be rude and unseemly. I, myself, have heard about these issues from other adoptive parents. Apparently, spitting, cutting in line, and not giving personal space is a big issue in China. I have also been told that if people need to go to the bathroom they just find a wall. And if a child needs to use the bathroom, they just let them squat in the grass. Their culture has very different norms than what us, westerners, are use to. But, what I found most interesting was a quote within the article:
China cares enormously about how it is perceived by the rest of the world,
and the Games have put a spotlight on this country's ancient ideas of shame and
superiority, as well as the traditional Chinese concept of not "losing
face."
I think that China is very worried how they will be perceived when the
estimated 500,000 foreigners come to their city. We also know that a
majority of those 500,000 foreigners will be journalist looking for a good
story. If they are going to such extremes to "make their city more
mannerly", can you imagine how upsetting a story could be on issues with their "One Child Policy"?
The honor and shame of an individual is related with that of the nation," Sha
said. "This goes back to the time of Confucius, when Chinese were taught to
protect the honor of the nation. Society is a complicated network, and we play
our roles as members of a collective unit, so this is natural for us."
I guess I can understand, in a way, why China would be worried? China wants to be perceived as a "1st World Nation" and I think they are on their way to becoming a world superpower. I mean with so many people....how could they not?? But, I also think China doesn't want to admit to having problems. But, what they need to realize is all countries have problems. And to be honest....if I were China I would be more worried about their environmental problems becoming the focus of the media rather than their problems with the One Child Policy.
Yes, this entry has gone on long enough and is way too serious for a "Hump Day" entry....I guess we will all just need to wait and see if a speed-up will start to happen once the Olympics is finished in China.
So, as for us, I am pretty sure we are looking at a January referral. In fact, yesterday, I am not sure why but maybe it has to do with the millions of prayers being said for me daily, a peacefulness came over me and I have accepted that our referral will be in January. So that is another 7 months that I have to prepare for Isabella's arrival. I am planning on enjoying the rest of my summer and then looking forward to preparing for her arrival this fall. And also looking forward to being able to spend time with my new baby during the cold, winter weather when there is nothing to do but snuggle. I can think of nothing better in the world than snuggling on the couch with my favorite guy and my new favorite girl!!!!
Yes, I am sure I will have moments of sadness but hey, who doesn't???? I am just going to keep my eye on the prize. Within the next year I am going to be a mother!!! Okay, me a mother...that is a topic for another blog....you all know my big "freak out" will be coming soon!!!!!

2 comments:
I wondered if the 2008 had anything to do with them going so slow. maybe people over there have to do double duty and help with the 2008 duties????
Don't worry when you freak out Bella can come to grammys and if you freak out before she is here youcan come to grammys....love,mom
Great post Mare. Keep with the feeling of peace. As God awful hard as it is. Everything is going to fall into place, as it should, at the most perfect time for you and your family. Thinking of you. : )
Post a Comment