My memories from Gotcha Day, August 12, are kind of sketchy. I remember being ready for the babies to come in. I remember seeing the babies in the hall way and going to the door and looking out into the hall way even though we were not supposed to be doing it.
I remember the name Jiang Yi Dong being called and going to the front of the room, having Bella placed in my arms, she was so scared but I don't remember her crying right away, and then I placed her in her daddy's arms and that was it. Little Jiang Yi dong decided that daddy was a safe place to be and remained there for the next 4 to 5 days.
I also remember Jiang Yi Dong starting to cry. I couldn't blame her. The room where we picked her up was hotter than any place I have ever been and then add that with a set of nervous new parents and let's just say we were all a sweaty mess. So I went into action and whipped out the formula I had brought from the US and started feeding her and this was really the last time I held her for several days. I remember just looking at her little eyes thinking she had the most beautiful eyes and eye lashes I had ever seen. I remember looking at her little fingers and thinking how small they were. And I also remember thanking God for finally giving me my daughter. I was still in shock that she was really our daughter!!

Looking back at pictures from that day I hardly recognize that baby. She looks so little and scared and nothing like the Bella we see every day here at home. She was very meek and definitely wondered who the heck we were. Nothing of her strong personality was visible at that time.
A picture of gotcha day after we got back to our hotel room. She liked playing with Kate's panda bear Oreo. She did not really want to be touched so we just let her play in the middle of the bed and decided to let her come to us. This was really when she decided she liked her daddy best.Fast forward, 1 month. 30 days. 720 hours. And Bella Boo has emerged a totally different child. She is bright, energetic, loving, and has a wicked sense of humor. She makes us laugh all the time. She is a complete goof! She is very curious and loves people. She loves to be outdoors and loves, loves to play patty cake (mom's version where I tickle her belly after the rhyme.) She is a total mimic and smart as all get out. She keeps her daddy and I on our toes.
Here are some recent pictures of us at the park. Gone is the solemn expression and this is the new normal look.

I wake up each morning longing for that big toothless smile she gives us. It is still hard for me to believe this amazing child was placed with us.
It is my fondest wish that one day she realizes how much joy she has given us each day by just being able to call her daughter!





3 comments:
you say it so well! I have these same thoughts with my two girls! Today we celebrated our fifth Gotcha Day with my oldest! Isn't adoption beautiful!! We live close to you, but have never met! Mahans gave me your blog!! Your little Bella is beautiful.
Such a sweety and look at that hair!
She looks happy to me, soooo you must be doing everything right! But, of course, I knew you would! :-) KO
Post a Comment