Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mare "Left-Eye" Lopez??????

One of my favorite things of yester-year was watching VH1's Behind the Music. And I mean I would watch them all.....one of my favorite episodes is the one with TLC.

So last night started off like any other. Since we got the door put into the storage area on Sunday evening (another entry for another time), Mike decided to go ahead and work on the electrical downstairs in the basement. I was down there helping him until it was about dinner time.

So I go upstairs to start dinner. I was cutting up the chicken breasts into bite size pieces to fry in some extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and put the water on to boil for my veggies in cheese bag. Not thinking because my new "Rachel Ray" grill was already on the stove burners I put the pot of water on the back burner and the frying pan on the front. The pan of water is coming to a boil on the back burner and I am heating up the EVOO in the skillet on the front when I go to put the veggies and cheese bag in the water behind the pan of EVOO heating up.....well.....................................................

did you know that the ol' saying about water and oil not mixing is, well, true????????? When I went to put the bag o' veggies in the water...some of the water splashed into the EVOO pan and a big fire ball went all the way up to the ceiling. Luckily, I reacted fast enough to turn off the burners and went to look for the fire extinguisher under the sink (of course, it was not there because it was in the basket under the table because I still have never put anything under the sink away since the "Chili Incident") Of course, I yelled for Mike and he comes tearing up from the basement, but the fireball was gone by the time he got upstairs. It singed the over the oven Microwave, the wall where the vent goes through the ceiling, and the ceiling itself. The microwave cleaned up from the charring but it looks like we may have to repaint the ceiling. I stood there for an hour just shaking like a leaf!!!

Mike finished making dinner....to be honest, I'm not that great of a cook anyway so I think I will let him have cooking duty for awhile until I stop shaking!!!!!

Did I mention that mom came over right after this happened.......one thing everyone knows about my mom is that she is great at getting information out to me and Kris whenever anything important happens in each other's lives.

So Kristie calls me later in the evening and say, "Hey Left-Eye, how ya' doing???" I am like "huh????" And she goes "so I hear .......Mare tried to buuuurrrrnnnned the house down?????" I'm like "huhh????" and she is like, "duh, behind the music when Lisa "Left-Eye" tried to burn down the house on her boyfriend!!" And then it hit me and I started laughing. Trust me after the evening I just had it was much needed.

Kris pointed out to me that maybe this happened for a reason now because in a few months I could of had a baby on my hip when trying to cook and she goes...."you will never do that again, will ya???" Don't worry....my lesson was learned!!!

So I guess for a while my new nickname will be Mare "Left-Eye" Lopez. And I am very glad that " Mare...didn't buuuuuurrrrrrrnnnnn down the house!!!"

2 comments:

Jenni said...

LOL Mare!!I would have peed my pants!! I want to see pics!! (J/K)
At least making congee doesn't involve EVOO! : )

Anonymous said...

Mare,
All I can say is that I am so glad that I taught you to cook so well!!!
What people probably don't know is that you hate to even light matches so a fire was horrorific for you.
Let's hear it for evvo and h2o....
Sometimes you're just hottttttttt.
love, mom

 
design by suckmylolly.com